The UNI NPWT black foam kit includes the following:
- Black Foam
- Dome Pad and tubing
- 1,2,3 Drape
- *ask for adapter if needed
- Sterile Normal Saline
- Sterile Gauze
- Protective Barrier Wipes/Skin Prep
1. Assess wound and determine if appropriate for NPWT. Assess wound with every dressing change.
2. Wound measurement should be performed and documented per facility protocol. Usually once per week.
3. Wound Prep: Per facility protocol. Be sure to efficiently irrigate wound to remove any foam fragments.
4. Apply protective barrier (skin prep, additional transparent drape) to protect the peri-wound. (Per facility protocol)
5. The protective barrier will add protection to intact skin and promote greater adherence of transparent drape.
6. Open Uni NPWT black foam dressing kit and scissors on a clean and dry surface.
7. Cut the black foam to the size/shape of the wound dimensions. For shallow wound, foam may need to be “filleted” (decrease depth to foam) to fit appropriately.
8. Do not cut the black foam over the wound as small fragments may fall into the wound bed. Brush off before inserting into wound bed.
9. Dressing size should allow for the dressing to fill wound cavity without overlapping on the intact skin.
10. Gently place the foam dressing into the wound cavity, covering the entire wound bed.
11. Do not force or forcefully push in the foam dressing. Potential damage to the wound may occur. NOTE: White foam should be utilized for tunneling and undermining.
12. Size and trim the transparent to cover the foam dressing. Cut a nickel size hole into the center of the drape.
DO NOT CUT A SLIT, CUT A HOLE. HINT: Fold the transparent
13. The 1,2,3 step drape was designed to provide easy drape application.
14. Proper drape application is the key to a good seal.
15 Peel off tab #1 first
16. Center the CUT hole over the center of the black foam.
17. Gently press down the expose adhesive to the skin.
18. Gently press the top of the drape to ensure adhesive contact to the skin.
19. Do not rush or forcefully push the drape.
20. Peel off tab #2 which peels off at the ends and underneath; gently press the drape around the peri-wound and work your way out to the edges of the drape.
21. Do not compress foam dressing while applying the drape.
22. Look for any areas where there are potential loss of seal, such as any contour surfaces. Have the drape follow the curves.
23. Before you feel of tab #3, make sure to form a proper seal.
24. When proper seal is secured completely remove tab #3.
25. Apply the dome pad by removing the back liner and then placing the center of the pad directly over the cut hole in the transparent drape.
26. Position the tubing appropriately as you place the dome. The tubing will need to be anchored so as not to pull at the dressing causing a loss of seal later.
27. Make sure to properly align the dome pad to the center hole.
28. If the dome is not aligned, the negative pressure will not reach the wound.
29. Make sure to properly seal the dome pad adhesive to the top of the drape.
30. Always check for an air-tight seal ensuring there are no leaks in the drape.
31. Once a proper air-tight seal has been accomplished, peel off the back liner.
32. Peel off the “Blue Tabs”
33. Pat around the dome pad to ensure complete adhesion.
34. Be sure to anchor your tubing.
35. Connect the adapter tubing to the end of the dome pad tubing.
HINT: an adapter is required to connect the dome pad connector to the NPWT pump
36. There are different adapters available for different types of NPWT pump systems.
HINT: Always let your sales person what model of NPWT pump you are using to make sure you get the proper adapters with your UNI NPWT black foam dressing kits.